Thursday, April 27, 2017


DAY 4 - SWEET

It's been a long day. 

My bank transaction took much longer than I expected, which wasn't amusing given that I came in at 9am sharp precisely so this wouldn't happen.  My 10:30 am meeting arrived 30 minutes late, which wasn't funny either as it ate into the lunch break that I needed to cut short so I could prepare for my 2pm client call.  And when this client meeting was over, it wasn't really over, because I had to have an after-meeting with my staff to talk about how to solve the unsolvable from two o'clock. 

At 4 pm, I was ready to go home and put this day to rest, when the fairly new cake shop across the street caught my eye.

And there it was, my sweet respite from the day's sour after sour after sour.  

Me: Kuya, ano ang pinaka-bestseller niyo dito?
Kuya:
Me: (if Kuya can't pick one, then neither will I) May credit card ba kayo?
Kuya: Wala po Ma'am e.
Me: (scrounging for cash) Sige, Carrot Cake and Blue Cheese Fig Cheesecake (that was all my cash could afford at that moment).

I drove home with what I thought would be the sugary ending to a terrible Thursday.

But you know what, sweet didn't end there.  Sweet was my eldest daughter calling about her victories at work. Sweet was my younger daughter sending pictures of her academic award from school.  Sweet was my son's news about moving further along in his audition for a major speaking event. Sweet was the phone call to Mom, who told me that her medical check up went quite well, followed by text messages from her, reminding me that, even at my age of 50, she never stopped being my Mom.

Life can throw bitter pills. By far the hardest I had to swallow was losing my father.  But we make a choice every day to conquer the bitter with the sweet. And I end the day knowing that Daddy had to leave because he has finally deserved to be where pain is no more, joy is complete, love is perfect and life is eternal. In the sweet, sweet embrace of heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment